My 'cultural' bucket list (BM #10)

Jan 13, 2014
Here is my bucket list that is culturally inclined. These are mostly simple ones, unique to our culture that I shudder at the thought of being forgotten. I hope I will do atleast a few before I kick the bucket!

  • Put Kolam(rangoli without the rang :-P) everyday. Its a simple one but I can give you umpteen reasons why I don't do it. Aren't they unique to our culture?
  • Have a Tulsi plant in a proper Tulsi maadam(pot designed for keeping holy tulsi)
  • Keep grand kolu every year :-D This one I have no problems doing except that there is some sentiment against keeping kolu in ILs family. But am slowly getting a nod for it :-)
  • Visit temples that are few decades old atleast once a month!
  • Celebrate every festival(there are atleast a dozen that is important in our family in a year) following the tradition(kolams, food, pooja) properly and with understanding.
  • Wear the tambrahm style saree(madisar) on occasions that require it(believe me, people skip it)
  • Support indigenised products - local produce, handicrafts, dolls, cloth etc(What an Irony, am saying this sitting in USA! But this is a bucket list, hmmm)
This is all I could think of now. Am sure I will be updating this list. So, what's yours? 

4 comments:

  1. Learning to wear the 9-yards used to be on my wish-list too, but I've given up on it. My list would include learning to make traditional dishes from someone who makes it authentically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haa haa, i refer to a video on youtube for 9 yards :-P An you are right, since my mom isn't around anymore, I try traditional dishes on my own from food blogs recalling how my mom's version used to taste and look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kolam too! I learn new ones from blogs and try them out. I find it be a very therapeutic exercise.
    During my parent's 60th wedding celebration, all of us wore madisar(aunts, cousins and all relatives) and how grand it looked! It gave a special touch to the festivities.
    This is the first time I am reading a bucket list specially dedicated to culture:) Good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blogathon brings out all wierd topics :) Great that you put kolams, I wish I do that too.. One problem is, it wouldn't look good to be putting a kolam around 8 in the morning :-( Madisar makes you feel special isn't it?

      Delete

Share your opinion. Your comments would make my day :)

Copyright © 2014 Living a Thousand Lives...
Template by These Paper Hearts