Small Steps Big Impact : One Minute Rule

Oct 28, 2018

I came across the one-minute rule in the book The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. The one-minute rule is a simple tool for procrastinators. 



Once this rule sticks to your mind, it becomes difficult to overlook minor and petty tasks that accumulate to daunt later. Thinking of it in everyday situations,

  • Make your bed. 
  • Put things back to where they belong. Toys, coffee mugs, loose papers, keys, books.
  • Refill your water bottle.
  • Respond. Take a minute to send that Thank you mail, 'Reached' message to your parent/spouse and even work mails that take under a minute. Or something even simpler as deleting a mail.
  • Take a Pic - There have been times when I wanted to take a picture of myself dressed up nicely or my kid on a special day at school. But in my perpetual hurry to get out of the door, it is too late to capture the moment when I realize it.
  • The small stuff - When hosting guests, I mostly focus on main things like the food and a clean-enough home. Small things like lighting up the oil diffuser, placing flowers in the urli , changing the wash cloth etc take a back-seat.
According to Gretchen Rubin, these one-minute rule frees us from nagging tasks and also doesn't get categorized under least-priority(till it grows and reaches to top-priority)

1 comment:

Share your opinion. Your comments would make my day :)

Copyright © 2014 Living a Thousand Lives...
Template by These Paper Hearts