When Ali became Bajrangbali Book Review and a Craft

Apr 22, 2016


Title: WHEN ALI BECAME BAJRANGBALI
Author: Devashish Makhija
Illustration: Priya Kuriyan
Publisher: Tulika Books

The residents of Bargad chawl are in danger of losing their homes – their nooks and crannies, shelters and perches. Ali, the monkey, has to find a way out. He swings, jumps and leaps into action, and comes up with a monkey trick that gives a new twist to the phrase, ‘playing god’ in this hilarious and heartwarming story!
Though this book is aged at 5+, my daughter who is almost 3 enjoyed the story as well. We have always loved the illustrations by Priya Kurian and we loved this book too :) Its a very clever story about how the Monkey solves the problem of his co-habitants of the Tree he resides in, when the Tree is in danger of being cut down.

The illustration of the tree which is inspired by KalpaVriksh is awesome. The little details like the signboards, posters, Ads on the walls made me smile. I particularly enjoy illustrations which has such trivial details as it makes an interesting point of discussion. As a matter of fact, I talked to my LO about electric lines(that were always visible from my balcony) only through illustrations on a book. And she did not miss to point out an electric line to me when we were out and I was rather busy looking at more interesting stuff :)

We also made a Mace and a Crown for the little monkey we had and transformed 'Ali' to 'Bajrangbali'! For the mace, I used a foam ball, pipecleaner and a straw. The crown is made out of a paper roll and foam stickers.

2 comments:

  1. It was terribly helpful on behalf of me. Keep sharing such ideas within the future similarly. This was truly what i used to be longing for, and that i am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such data with USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion. Your comments would make my day :)

Copyright © 2014 Living a Thousand Lives...
Template by These Paper Hearts